Got Blog?

5.25.2007

Sometimes.. I am a dork, I thought I would tell you about one of those times... it also happens to be one of soebs' favorites..
One day I happened to be very excited and nervous about going to orientation for the hospital that I am currently working for. I was worried that there were going to be people there that knew so much more than I did, as I was not yet a nurse and didn't know who all would be there. The morning kicked off with some guest speakers and very serious and somber threats to never.. never use any kind of abbreviations, because every single person that has ever died in the history of the world can be traced to someone misinterpreting an abbreviation for "twice a day" as kill them now, please overdose them on every possible medication you have and then forget to check on them until it is too late!
We then had a very funny guest speaker come up and start telling his stories about being an intensive care nurse and how stressful it was and how funny things would happen that only other health care people could appreciate such as overflowing urinals and demented patients, and he finishes up his story with yet another warning about using abbreviations. Being the funny guy that he was we were all laughing along and shouting out different incidences that had occurred different places and having a great time.
He ends the lecture by saying this, ".. now a doctor came to our floor and wrote this on a patient's chart SOB - now on my floor what does this mean? It means shortness of breath on my floor, but what was the doctor trying to say about the patient?"
Me - totally loving this funny comedian/lecture guy for finally bringing up something I can understand gleefully yell out, "Son of a bitch!!"
I right away know that this may have not been the answer he was looking for as every head turned to look at me and he got really quiet put his hands down and quietly said.. "no... no, not really what I was looking for.. he meant string of bags..."
I just sat there with a sad sad smile on my face as he went on to probably explain how some son of a bitch let the patient die by giving the patient oxygen instead of IV fluids.. but I could hear nothing over the roaring shame in my ears... (tear*)
And..... THE END!!

1 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home